The Continuous Innovation Framework (COIN) is a model designed to help individual stakeholders in an organization to better work together to facilitate a continuous process of innovation. The framework consists of roles, rituals and artifacts that together generate a continuous flow of innovation through an organization. Each topic is clickable, leading to more in-depth explanation of when, how and by whom the activities should be engaged in. The topics are split into three levels:
- The innovation-level describes the phases that a single innovative idea goes through from the initial idea to an embedded product, service or process.
- The portfolio-level describes the activities that need to take place in to successfully create a continuous and consistent flow of valuable innovations through the organization
- The corporate-level describes how strategy and change management are linked to the innovation initiatives.
The primary stakeholders in the process are depicted as people-icons (in black). Their icons describe their roles in the process and their interactions.
COIN is aimed to create a single overview of a complex process that cuts across most ‘business-as-usual’-processes within an organization. It aims to create clarity and univocal understanding with all involved about who needs to do what, how and why in order to create the best orchestration in innovation initiatives and create the most value from innovations.
Challenges in Innovation
While start-ups are designed to innovate and disrupt, managing innovation within a large organization can be very complex. Most companies struggle with maintaining an overview of all innovation ideas and measuring the return on investment. Without clear processes, testing and piloting innovation projects tends to last too long, thereby decreasing market opportunity. Even if a pilot is successful, most of the times the integration of these innovative products or services with the usual business is suboptimal. In October 2018, a group of BlinkLane consultants combined their practical experience with acclaimed research and literature and developed the Continuous Innovation Framework.
A Framework for Continuous Innovation
COIN is designed to help large organizations to successfully and continuously develop, scale and embed innovations and thus create a continuous Return on Innovation.
COIN represents an organization-wide, lightweight, and transparent process to:
- Capture innovative ideas from internal and external sources;
- Assess feasibility and value for the organization in the shortest possible lead time;
- Align business operations to scale innovations effectively;
- Manage the portfolio of innovations for value;
- Align innovation with business strategy.
COIN is based on practical experience and popular and scientific research. It is neither prescriptive nor exhaustive, although no parts of the framework are optional.
Invitation to join
The Continuous Innovation Framework community is an open community. We appreciate your ideas, experiences, and challenges. And most of all we would love to hear your experiences of implementing the framework in your own organization.